Knowing how to read makes life easier!
The Info‑Alpha line draws on 20 years of expertise in assistance and referral. Each year, its operators help thousands of Quebec adults in their steps toward gaining access to literacy training. Since the line opened in 1990, more than 67,000 individuals have benefited from this one-of-a-kind service. Info‑Alpha is a Literacy Foundation initiative which receives financial support from the Quebec Ministry of Education, Recreation and Sports (MELS).
Info-Alpha is a telephone service that:
- provides listening, assistance and referral with respect to literacy training and basic training, and is dedicated to adults experiencing difficulty with reading, writing and basic numeracy skills;
- may be used by the target population, those around them, and facilitators from different networks;
- is bilingual, toll-free and confidential;
- has compiled a directory of more than 600 service points in the public and community sectors in all regions of Quebec;
- is accessible Monday to Friday, from 9 am to 5 pm;
- provides, as needed, personalized service for conference calls where an operator accompanies an adult who wishes to get in touch with an organization;
- is run by skilled staff.
Examples of requests
Different types of training are available for improving reading and writing comprehension:
- French, English and math literacy training at beginner, intermediate and advanced levels;
- French-language literacy, francization and French classes;
- Introduction to computing and the Internet;
- Literacy through tutoring;
- Family literacy and early childhood reading programs;
- Learning disability resources.